Looking after your eyesThis year’s National Eye Health Week, is set to take place next week from the 24th to 30th September 2018. Just like other awareness campaigns, this campaign aims to educate people on the importance of eye health. Explaining why we should all have a regular sight test. People often fear losing their vision but are unsure of their eye care needs. National Eye Health Week aims to change this by educating people. Having said that, here are some of the interesting facts all about eye health and eyes.
- About 2 million people live with severe sight loss in the UK, significantly impacting their daily activities. In over 50% of these cases, sight loss is avoidable.
- A sight test can easily detect the early signs of eye conditions including glaucoma, which can be treated very quickly.
- During a sight test, other health conditions can be detected including diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Eating well can help maintain healthy eyes. Also avoiding smoking and wearing eye protection during bright sunlight helps to maintain good eye health.
- The importance of eyesight towards general overall wellbeing, independence and quality of life is too important to be ignored.