Emergency Eye Care

CUES/MECS/PEARS Urgent eyecare schemes

Are you worried about a recent eye condition?

There are now free services across the UK to offer help and advice. Covid-19 Urgent Eye Care Service (CUES) Oldham postcodes,  Primary Eye-care Assessment and Referral Service (PEARS) Huddersfield Postcodes, Minor Eye Conditions Service (MECS) Tameside and Glossop,  are all schemes provided by local accredited opticians who have specialist knowledge, training and skills.

Eye conditions that can be treated using this service:

  • Red eye
  • Dry eye, gritty and uncomfortable eyes
  • Irritation and inflammation of the eye
  • Significant recent sticky discharge from the eye or watery eye
  • Recently occurring or sudden increase of flashes and floaters
  • Painful eye
  • Ingrowing eyelashes
  • Recent and sudden reduced vision
  • Something in your eye

NOTE: If you have an eye condition that is being regularly monitored by your optometrist or hospital eye service, this will not be covered by urgent eyecare schemes; for example cataracts, diabetic retinopathy or glaucoma.

This service is accessible to individuals of any age if you are registered with a GP in the local area. Appointments are available if you need advice, examination and/ or treatment for a recent eye condition.

You can contact us via telephone Greenfield on 01457 353100 or Meltham on 01484 907090 directly (self-refer) to make an appointment. On contacting us, you will be asked some questions about your symptoms in order to assess how quickly you need to be seen by the accredited Optician.

Appointments are available during normal working hours on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturdays.

  • If your condition is more serious, the optician will book you an urgent appointment at a hospital eye clinic
  • If you need a routine appointment with a hospital, the optician will make a referral for you
  • If your eye condition is related to your general health, you may be advised to make an appointment with your GP
  • If you need medication, you may be advised to contact your local pharmacist