The silent taboo
“Grandad had a hearing loss, but it was never mentioned” — a taboo subject, even within families. Many people avoid talking about hearing loss, but it is a significant problem and not one that should be suffered in silence.
Here are some amazing facts about hearing loss
Did you know;
- 466 million people worldwide have disabling hearing loss
- 34 million children worldwide have disabling hearing loss
- It is estimated that by the year 2050 900 million people worldwide will have disabling hearing loss
- 1.1 Billion young people worldwide are at risk of hearing loss due to noise exposure
It’s different in the UK isn’t it?
Did you know;
- There are around 11 million people across the UK with hearing loss
- Hearing loss has a huge impact on our health and well-being.
- By 2031, it is estimated that 14.5 million people, approximately 20% of the UK population, will have hearing loss.
- Hearing loss is a very common problem, often caused by noise, aging, disease, and heredity. Many people with hearing loss find it hard to chat with friends and family.
- Hearing loss will affect around 1 in 6 of us, from birth or during the course of our lives.
- It is thought that one in three people between 65 and 74 years of age has hearing loss.
- Of those over 75 it is thought that nearly half have difficulty hearing.
- Hearing loss is largely preventable and it is certainly treatable with cost effective interventions
- the costs of unaddressed hearing loss to individuals, their families and wider society are immense.
Look after your hearing
Exposure to loud noise at work can cause irreversible hearing damage. Industrial hearing loss has the highest number of civil claims. These claims account for around 75% of all occupational disease claims. Many manufacturing industries have processes that often emit high noise levels. These high noise levels could adversely affect the hearing of employees.
At Allegro Optical Ltd, we are very aware that musicians are at a much higher risk of hearing loss. It is certainly higher than those in other industries. One study of a large classical orchestra reported that hearing loss was a considerable problem for around 44% of the musicians.
Hearing loss is a barrier
For many people hearing loss is a barrier to finding and remaining in employment. It is estimated that five million people of working age in the UK are living with significant hearing loss or deafness. A survey of 1,000 people in 2018 found that more than half felt unfairly treated at work due to their hearing loss.
There is a general acceptance among the public that age-related hearing loss is inevitable. However, hearing loss is a largely preventable and treatable condition.
At Allegro Optical we work with Amplifon who’s hearing aids are equipped with the very latest technology. With technical features from the best manufacturers’ brands (Phonak, ReSound, Oticon, Signia – former Siemens).
Hearing aids are an effective intervention and are recommended for adults with mild to moderate hearing loss. They can improve the quality of life and listening ability.
Our range of hearing aids come in a variety of different styles, they are designed to be as sleek and discreet as possible. But it’s not all about discretion.
Should I go private for hearing aids?
Amplifon delivers the best service for your hearing health thanks to expert and highly qualified audiologists.
The team encourages clients to try different styles or products. This way they can find one that will not only suit lifestyle, fashion sense or connect to devices.
Take advantage of our 7 day free trial plus our 60 day money back guarantee and see enjoy the benefits of going private.